Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rainbow Rice Rainbow!


I  hadn't intended to make an actual project when we started this.  I laid out the rice and asked her what we should do with it.  I figured it would just turn into a sand table type of activity with rainbow rice.  But the minute saw the gorgeous grains she (very insistently) asked to make her "very own rainbow on paper and then hang it up with tape".  Wow......the lady knows what she wants!  Don't know where she got that? hahaha  So away we went.  I found a spare piece of tag board, some glue, and we went to town.  At the end I suggested that we use some of the cotton balls left over from our Paper Plate Easter Bunnies for clouds.  She thought that was a wonderful idea.  :)  


The proud artist with her finished product!  We always make sure to proudly display her work around the house.....


Trick:  Instead of putting the glue on the cotton balls, put the cotton balls on the glue!  Dab one large dot of glue wherever you want the kiddo to put a cotton ball.  Not only does this stave off a huge mess (which would really bother my little one and stop our project right in it's tracks) but it lets your little guy or gal work on hand/eye coordination. 



Skills:
Color recognition
The constant order and the colors of the spectrum
Sense of touch


Rainbow Rice
Thank you to Happy Hooligans for a fast, easy, and ecologically friendly way of making this beautiful rainbow rice.  I made the it ahead of time because I wasn't sure how much it would stain.  Turns out I could have easily let Lily help out......when you make it in an old tub (Cool Whip, butter, etc.....) it's super easy and relatively clean.
Rainbow Rice recipe




No comments:

Post a Comment